Chocolate Pots de Creme
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Whipped cream and fresh fruit for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream and sugar; heat until the cream is steaming and sugar is dissolved. Meanwhile, place yolks in a medium bowl; gradually whisk in the hot cream mixture a little at a time. Add the chocolate to the hot custard and let stand 2 minutes, then stir until combined. Strain the chocolate custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a pitcher.
- Fill a roasting pan with 1 inch of water and place 6 (4-ounce) ramekins in the water. Divide the custard mixture evenly among the ramekins. Bake the custards in the water bath until set, but still wobbly in the center, about 35 minutes. Remove the custards from the water bath and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2 hours.
- To serve, top the custards with the whipped cream and fresh fruit, if desired.